Before I get into some deep thoughts about my upcoming marathon, here’s a few pictures from my Memorial Day extended weekend!
I’ll spare you repeat pictures of skydiving & Fish 101.
Sunday morning I was feeling a bit festive & made pancakes!
Memorial Day Yogurt Pancakes
adapted from Kath’s recipe.
- 1 cup pastry flour
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 cup Fage 0% Greek Yogurt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp regular salt
- bananas (sliced)
- strawberries (sliced)
Combine all ingredients except for bananas & strawberries. Pour about 1/2 cup of pancake batter into skillet & add banana and strawberry slices on top. This made 5 pretty large pancakes! Top with syrup or more fruit & enjoy!
After a tough yoga class and a lovely day at the beach on Monday, we spent our Memorial Day evening BBQing at the casa. With Jesse’s help, we threw together some amazing burgers!
Blue Cheese Stuffed Burgers (makes 8 large burgers)
- 4 lbs lean ground beef
- blue cheese or gorgonzola
- Laughing Cow cheese original (~4 triangles)
- salt & pepper
Mix together equal amounts of laughing cow cheese wedges & blue cheese. Microwave for ~20 seconds or just enough time for cheeses to be mixable.
Form (16) 1/4 pound patties of ground beef (rolled out thin).
Spread about a tablespoon of cheese mixture onto half of patties.
Use remaining patties to cover & enclose cheese mixture pressing down edges to fully enclose. You will now have 1/2 pound burgers with cheese inside. They will shrink when cooking but will still be good-sized burgers!
We enjoyed our burgers with sweet potato fries, potato salad, pasta salad, & beans! What a delicious meal!
Look at that cheese!!
What a great way to end this holiday weekend. Great food & great friends! If only I would’ve taken photos of the ‘friends’ part!
In 5 days I will be celebrating the completion of my first marathon (crossing my fingers)! After months of training, I know I am prepared for this! Even still, my head is filled with thoughts: Good ones and bad ones. I thought it’d be fun to document the thoughts that have gone on my head in the weeks before my marathon! I apologize in advance because I’m rambling.. that is how thoughts work.. at least mine anyways 🙂 Ok, here we go..
- What if I do not enjoy running 26.2 miles? Is this distance not for me? Will I be deterred from running anything more than a half marathon? What would I do about the NWM & Ragnar coming up next October?
- Ever since my 22 miler I have not wanted to run. Is this bad? Normal? Every run I have had since then has been sluggish (heavy) & not necessarily enjoyable. I feel I am digressing.. Is this all part of the taper process? I sure hope so..
- Should I set a time goal or just run to complete it and have fun? I initially thought I should try for 4 hours.. then changed that to maybe 4:15.. 4:30.. but now I’m thinking my goal should be to run the whole thing and try to enjoy myself. It is my first marathon.. thoughts?
- How fast do I start running? I’m afraid of my pace. I don’t want to crash hard because I started too fast.. but at the same time if I run a slower pace it’s harder for me to increase that pace later on. I am typically pretty good about negative splits (run slower in the beginning and get faster at the end) .. I just don’t want to mess this one up!
- What food/fuel am I gonna want during the race? I should be ready for this but unfortunately I am not..
- What am I going to feel up for after the race? Celebrations? Sleep? I will never know on this one.. we will see!
If you can’t tell, I’m excited but extremely nervous! This waiting game is horrible.. tapering is not fun! Sunday will be here before I know it! In the mean time, I will try to enjoy this time (and excessive carbs) as much as I can!